Information about First Reconciliation Sat. February 2, 2019 – Our Lady of Fatima Church
(Snow date is Sat. February 9th)
11am for Annunciation School students and families
12:30pm for Religious Ed students and families
- Extended family is warmly welcome to attend. Please plan to arrive 10 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony. The ceremony lasts approximately one hour.
- Special paper lambs will be made during class and available in the vestibule prior to the ceremony. These will be pinned to a special poster after each child’s Confession is complete.
- Parents will meet their children after they finish their Confession and accompany them to the sanctuary where the children will pray their penance.
- Families may leave once their children are done. Certificates should be picked up on your way out.
Please no videotaping or photography inside the church during the ceremony.
Questions? Please contact Mary Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org .
These are the basic steps for making a good Confession that your child will need to know:
- Make the sign of the Cross and say:
“Bless me Father, for I have sinned. This is my first Confession and these are my sins”.
- Tell the priest the various things you have done wrong and why you did them.
- The priest will talk to you and give you a penance. (He may give you a prayer to say or an action to do to make up for your sins.)
- Now you can say your Act of Contrition
I am sorry for my sins with all my heart.
In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good,
I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things.
I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance,
to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.
Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us.
In His name, my God, have mercy.
- The priest will now raise his hand in blessing and absolve (forgive) your sins in the name of Jesus.
- The priest will tell you to go in peace and you say, “Thank you Father.”